Monday, December 16, 2013

A Divine Click and A Perfect Match


A Divine Click and a Perfect Match
Those things in life we look forward to.   The simple but treasured things that make life special and make everything seem true and right and lovely.   The major events in life that will change us forever.  The direction or path we thought we were on only to be surprised by a more divine plan that shakes our faith to make it stronger and our trust to grow deeper.    The moment that listening and trusting His still small voice and stepping out in faith causes someone else’s life and mine to be bonded forever.   


As I clicked on the link and read her caring bridge, I knew her  from our church, and over the years..but not well.  I remember her bubbly personality and the smile I always saw on her face.  My husband knows her husband through Real Estate and we know many mutual friends.  I knew her son from when I used to be a school receptionist and he was a student at Westside Christian.   Yes, that is when I first met her, she was always really sweet when she came to the school.  I’m sad at what she has had to endure this last year after reading her kidneys failed.  Her family has been tested to see if anyone is a match for her and still nothing.. It’s amazing how they are handling this.. Pray
 I thought of the people that were willing to step forward to be tested to see if they matched her.  That sounded pretty scary and I wondered if given the opportunity if I would be willing to be tested?  After seeing the blood type posted and realizing this could be a quick elimination for my fleeting thought,  I was humbled quickly after finding a medical chart in my office.   It was a form I have had with me for 14 years that I never could throw away because it had 3 special pregnancies listed on there that I never got to have.  A chart that represented sadness in many ways, but also a good reminder of God’s restoration and a little box checked revealing my blood type.   Type A.

Back to the computer and messaging my friend who had posted the caring bridge site link, she mentioned that our Pastor’s wife had also gotten tested, but sadly was not a match but was entering a paired match program even so.  It was enough to know that if she was able to have faith and do this, then why couldn’t I.   A bedtime talk with my husband of my idea to go forward only prompted support  from him, and thoughts of “what if I was a match and didn’t know it.   Well what if I am a match? It would be morally and seemingly the right thing to do to help her.  I know I would want someone to do that if it were my loved one”, and so on…    Sleep

Someone who is tested to be a kidney donor gets put through several tests.    As far as I knew I was healthy so in my mind barring any surprises on my end, there is no reason being tested if I wasn’t resolved to take the process to the end.   It wasn’t until I realized being a blood type match was great and the willingness and being healthy is a must,  but the biggest test was yet to come.   I didn’t realize that many potential donors were released because of the matching to her antibodies.    This however, didn’t discourage me because of my naivety of the odds and knowing that prompting that afternoon to click on the caring bridge seemed too divine for this not to be a perfect match.  I know when I feel God’s prompting and this time my husband had that same “funny” feeling.  … more blood drawn.  
After weeks of testing, the phone rings, it’s the transplant team “amazingly your antibodies are a perfect match”…  rejoice!  I text several people including her husband of the news and find out it is truly a miracle.  That is when I find out there was only a 3% chance they would ever find a perfect match.   That is when I realized that prompting was divine.   When I realize my life and her life will change forever.
Three weeks from today, January 6th, probably at this time, I will be in one operating room and Jana in the next room.  A Monday that the Lord picked for us long ago and will forever be remembered.  Our family and friends, praying and waiting.  Praying  for a safe transplant and a good outcome.   I will not lose much, she will gain everything back she once knew to be a normal function of living and one we take for granted until it’s gone.  A divine opportunity that we all aren’t picked for but one I feel blessed to be.  One that will offer hope and healing.   One that will grow my faith, courage, and trust for my future and one that will allow God to be glorified through it all.    

I wanted to share this with you so you can pray and also be a part of this amazing miracle story.  As we spend time getting ready for this Christmas it is hard for me to not have my thoughts go to January 6th.  I wait in anticipation and can only imagine how Jana must be counting down the hours and days .  We have been in contact with each other over facebook and I reassured her I was being very careful with my activities!  I’ve never thought about my kidneys as much as I have in the last 6 weeks!!    I also wanted to share her caring bridge site so you can leave a note of encouragement to her as she waits and pray for her to stay strong.   


Me Jana and our Mom's together at Church Dec 29th

30 comments:

  1. Courtney - I am in tears, as a mom of a precious boy who has battled kidney cancer and may someday need a transplant. You obedience and willing to be an opportunity for one more child to get off of dialysis. I will be praying for you and your family - as we are walking into the season where the greatest gift of all was born, you are also providing an amazing gift!!!!!!!! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Kristine thank you for sharing that. I can't imagine...

      Delete
  2. Words cannot express my feelings and my gratitude. Thank you is so inadequate. You are giving Jana her life back! Praise God for you! Prayers go out to both of you continuously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, you are an angel, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Courtney, bless you! I will be praying, for sure as this is a huge step, but a noble and life-saving one! God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Courtney,
    You are beautiful...inside and out. That you listened to and followed God's leading.... I thank Him for choosing you to be the prefect match. And I am so very happy for Jana. Love you a lot Courtney, Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Call today Julie was so sweet. Love you my dear friend :)

      Delete
  6. Betty RickardDecember 16, 2013

    So amazing, that God would use you in this way. Hoping for our own miracle for a match for our son,Todd, too. It would be wonderful if more people would be inclined to be tested like you were. Praise the Lord for doing this within the body of our church family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I pray that for Todd too. I can't imagine living a life of chronic struggle and pain and what he goes through. You and Rob are such wonderful people and parents.

      Delete
  7. Courtney...a friend forwarded this to me. Last January 14th I donated my kidney to my friend's husband. It saved his life. My story is very similar to yours...I was very naive. I asked her what his blood type was and he was the same as me...O negative. As you may know, only O's can receive from O's so I thought all was good. Lots of testing later we found out that I was a 5 out of 6 match...pretty rare! We both are doing great and I also feel it was divine intervention or direction that brought us together. Check out my friend, Shelley Hunt cause here in Canada. It's called The Because I Can Project and it is about organ donation and awareness. Bless you for stepping forward. It's a wonderful journey and I feel very blessed and honored to have done this. God Bless you and Jana!
    With love...Kellie Wesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Kelly thank you for writing. That is so amazing to hear your story and encouraging to hear the good results!! I will check out the Because I Can Project. I really appreciate you reaching out.

      Delete
    2. Dee von TagenDecember 17, 2013

      Courtney, I have tears as I read your blog, God's grace is being revealed through you. God has chosen you as a special miracle to Jana, and you are courageous enough to give it. He knew you would. I admire you as you share your gift of music, and now you are sharing your gift of the body God gave you at birth. Know that I have been praying for you ever since I heard you might be the perfect match. I know God is thanking you for being so courageous, and I know He will be right by your side all the way. I wonder what glories you will experience? Please share. Know that I am praying for you each day, and my heart is becoming more tender because of your unselfish act. God sees you and smiles!! You are loved.
      Dee von Tagen

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for your prayers and for your generous comments. I really didn't know this would affect others in the way it seems to be happening. I know many would do the same thing if given the opportunity, it just happens that God is allowing this in my life right now for this time and purpose. I think it's amazing that God created us with 2 kidneys that we can live on one and give one. Thank you again for your prayers and friendship to both of us. xoxo

      Delete
  8. You are very special in oh so many ways and this just underscores your beautiful heart for the Lord. I love how God knits things together Courtney! You have always done a lot of special things on your birthday - but this one takes the cake! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awe.. yeah I will never forget what we did on this Birthday! I joked with Jana that I normally don't give out party favors but there will be just one party favor this year and she's getting it! :)
      Delete

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Courtney, thank you so much for this most generous of gifts!! Jana is a long-time friend of ours from church, back in the early days of having babies and getting careers started, etc. We've followed her journey on CaringBridge, and somehow I was not worried that God would provide a perfect match donor for her eventually. How wonderful to read the process you have gone through to get to this point, and we join Dave and Jana's family and other friends in rejoicing at this great gift! Thank you!
    Kraig and Jennifer Saks (our son also went to Westside Christian)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, AMAZING! Thank you for being obedient to the Lord and for being a willing vessel for Him to use to bring healing and hope to another family!

    "God pour out Your blessings on Courtney and this family. May both of their healing be quick and complete. Thank you for Your leading and Your ways. We trust You and know that You are healer! Amen"

    Here to help in any way we can! Love you, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courtney, you're a hero. You heard God talking and you stopped to listen. Amazing what He can do when that happens. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Faith MatsuokaDecember 23, 2013

    Courtney, thank you for sharing this with us and for sharing your kidney with Jana. I have known Jana for many years too, like Jennifer, and we were in the same Sunday School class. I haven't kept up with her except through Jennifer, but think it is such a miracle how God has worked this out. I'm sure there are fears in your heart and lots of various emotions. Will be praying that our Father will give you peace and comfort throughout this whole situation, and healing too from the surgery. By the way, my husband had a kidney transplant 30 years ago and he has done very well - is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faith, I appreciate your words and it is great to hear those success stories of longevity. I know Jana is trusting that it will last that long. I can't believe we are a week away an I do feel God's peace. thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  14. Amen! What more can be said!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jana HopkinsDecember 28, 2013

    In this time of year when celebration is the norm~I have such a keener perspective on the gift of life our dear Lord gave us! And Following His prompting here we are with YOU giving me that indescribable gift! I cannot begin to share what this means to me and my family. This story picture you wove is so beautiful and our dear architect-- God started this story many years ago! Knowing you were going to be the vessel! There are not enough words to express my love, gratefulness, thankfulness and commitment to use this for God's glory! I have been forever changed and blessed! ALL my love! Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, I think one day this will all really hit me of how we were brought together in a special way. God directed this course we are on and I know He will continue to use it for his Glory. You are so special and have such a great attitude in the midst of a heavy trial. I'm thankful God prompted me to read about your struggle and thankful that he chose me to be your match. It's going to be a great year and am so excited you will feel better to be able to enjoy it. Love you back!

      Delete
  16. Courtney, What a blessing you are to the lives of those around you...not only to Jana, but to those who have been impacted by your love and obedience. My son as a young child faced the possibility of his kidneys failing. God was gracious to us and I was obedient to Him in releasing my son's disease to His care. He healed him at about 5 years of age and to date, my son has not exhibited any symptoms of his previous illness. The doctors (bless their hearts and especially the Pediatric Nephrologist) didn't really believe me when I said that the Lord had healed my son. But, as he turns 24 this year and marries his sweetheart in June, I am feeling very blessed. I pray that your obedience brings only joy to your life! I will keep you in my prayers tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I'm sorry I never replied.. I think I got lost in recovery! What an amazing story of healing for your son! Thank you for your sweet note and prayers on that day.

      Delete
  17. You are a great inspiration of not only learning to listen, but hear and actually act on God's divine prompting. You spoke of your gift so casually....giving Him all the glory. I love what you're teaching me through your story. I'm so glad all went well today! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awe Linda I must have missed this sweet note when I was doped up. :) love looking back knowing how cared for and prayed up our surgery was. <3

      Delete